My sister Susan, was 12 at the time, my best friend Diane, my Maid Of Honor, was 16, and my soon to be sister-in-law Rita, was 15.
Thirty six years ago today, I got married. I was 16, he was 19, the same ages as my parents when they got married.
We lived in a small town in Alabama. My parents decided it was time for a change. They got newspapers from large cities within a few hundred miles of our home, and started looking for that change. The Memphis paper had an ad for a couple to live in a house, ok, a mansion, while it was being sold. The owners had moved to California. My parents got the job, and Memphis was it. They didn't sell their house in Alabama right away, waiting to see the outcome of our Memphis excursion. (Plus we were living in a furnished house, had gardeners, pool men, the whole nine yards, we thought we were somebody).
My older sister Linda, had already left home, so that left Mother, Daddy, Me, Susan and Ray. I was dating a boy from Alabama, and he drove the 150 miles every weekend, to see me. I had two more years of high school, and couldn't stand the thought of starting the 10th grade in a hugh Memphis school. Long story short, we decided we wanted to get married, live in my family home, in Alabama, and I would finish school there.
Later, we moved to Memphis ourselves, and stayed together for over 5 years. I don't consider it a mistake, this was just part of what put me in the right place at the right time, to meet Ben. And you know the rest of the story.
We got married in the backyard of this house.
A very rough draft of the house.
A picture of the ceremony, beside the pool and pool house.
In this aerial view, you can distinguish the house, pool and pool house, on the bottom left. The house is no longer there, it was torn down recently, for the expansion of an assisted living facility, that you can see creeping in on the right.
From the left, my Mother's parents, my Daddy's Mother, and of course, us.
We lived in a small town in Alabama. My parents decided it was time for a change. They got newspapers from large cities within a few hundred miles of our home, and started looking for that change. The Memphis paper had an ad for a couple to live in a house, ok, a mansion, while it was being sold. The owners had moved to California. My parents got the job, and Memphis was it. They didn't sell their house in Alabama right away, waiting to see the outcome of our Memphis excursion. (Plus we were living in a furnished house, had gardeners, pool men, the whole nine yards, we thought we were somebody).
My older sister Linda, had already left home, so that left Mother, Daddy, Me, Susan and Ray. I was dating a boy from Alabama, and he drove the 150 miles every weekend, to see me. I had two more years of high school, and couldn't stand the thought of starting the 10th grade in a hugh Memphis school. Long story short, we decided we wanted to get married, live in my family home, in Alabama, and I would finish school there.
Later, we moved to Memphis ourselves, and stayed together for over 5 years. I don't consider it a mistake, this was just part of what put me in the right place at the right time, to meet Ben. And you know the rest of the story.
We got married in the backyard of this house.
A very rough draft of the house.
From the left, my Mother's parents, my Daddy's Mother, and of course, us.
No comments:
Post a Comment