Now, about the school. It's only an hour away from our Memphis home. But, once I got there, I didn't come home for a year, literally. I get so involved in something, I can't turn it loose. My husband traveled back and forth between here and the school, all that time. We have yet to pack this house up, and move there full time. Anyway, here's the story.
My parents were moving there with us, we built them a 2500 SF house, inside the school. My brother, who had been a truck driver for 26 years, was ready to get off the road. He can do anything, build anything, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, anything. He and I, (mostly HE), just the two of us, built a 2500 SF house for our parents.
Out of nowhere, both of them discovered health problems, and were advised not to move that far away from their Doctors. This town is so small, there isn't even a red light. Just 300+- people, and at least 30 minutes to the nearest medical facility. Not long after that, I came home to pack up. That was a year ago, and we're not sure when we'll get back up there. What we are sure of, is that it'll be there, when we get there.
Here's a rundown on the school.

This is one of the oldest pictures we have of the school. It was built in 1915.

The gym was built in 1934.

This is a picture from a school yearbook.

This is what the front facade looks like today. The last principal of the school, did this. He had the front entrance enclosed, and turned that area into his office. I think it looks like Pacman. I think it's hideous.

This is what we plan to do to the front.
+%26+Gym+(1935).JPG)
The next area, between the old school and the gym, is the locker rooms, (girls and boys). It also has a ticket office, a concession stand, a janitor's closet, and some other misc. rooms. This area was built in the 1940's. On the other side of the locker rooms, is the gym. It was built in 1934.
.JPG)
This space was built in the 1950's and housed the home economics department.
_%26_Cafeteria_(1960%27s).JPG)
This area was added in the 1960's and was the school cafeteria.
_%26_Shop_(1950%27s).JPG)
Around the back you can see the cafeteria, and the wood shop, that was built in the 1950's.

Another shot of the back and the railroad tracks.

And another.

Another perspective.

And another.

It's in a beautiful old neighborhood.

Everyone knows how much I love trees, and I'll do anything to keep from loosing one. But these two had to go. They were original to the school, but they had been butchered by the electric company over the years.

So, we had them cut down.

Now the dogwoods have center stage.

Waiting on the hydrangeas.

The first of these six pictures, shows what the back of the old school looks like now. The others show the progression of what we hope to do.

And possibly even later.
No comments:
Post a Comment