Saturday, August 16, 2008

ELVIS WEEK

If you live in Memphis, TN, you know all about Elvis week. http://elvisweek.com/ I think everyone knows about it, no matter where they live. We live exactly 2.81 miles from Graceland, so we see things 1st hand. In years past, we'd venture down there to see what was going on, but we're too old for that now. I have a few stories that will show you our small Elvis connections.


Here are a few random pictures that Ben's taken, outside the gates of Graceland.
Susan's husband's name is David. David's Mother died on 08-15-1977, the day before Elvis died. Susan and David were married on 08-15-1987, 10 years from the day that his Mother passed away. That was 21 years ago, this past Friday. This is a picture of Susan and David. Both our families, ours and David's, have lived in this area for years. David's Mother was to be buried in the same cemetery as Elvis, Forest Hill on Elvis Presley Blvd. She died on the 15th, he died on the 16th. Everyone knew he was to be buried there, along side his mother, but didn't know when, so thousands of people camped out, just waiting. Each hearse that came in, was thought to carry Elvis. David's Mother's funeral, along with any other that was being held that day, or the following few days, was sheer chaos. Of course, Elvis was later moved, along with his mother and buried at Graceland. The picture below, was from last years Elvis Week, the 30th Anniversary.I lived within 1 mile of Graceland for years, and I did see Elvis 1 time, driving one of his Cadillacs. On this map, #1 (on the bottom), is where I lived for 2 or 3 years, and where I lived when I saw Elvis.I was on this balcony, when he drove by. It was probably a full minute before I realized who it was, I don't know that he saw me. (We didn't wave to each other, or anything like that).I do remember that he was driving a black Cadillac, and looked like he was alone. I think it was a convertible, but I wouldn't swear to that. I found this picture on the internet, it reminds me of that day. This was either 1973 or 1974.This is the front of that same house.I lived in this house, #2 on the map, for over a year.In 1995, Ben and I received an invitation to "Rock with FOX 13". Neither of us remember why we got this, or from who, but we did, and we went. We do remember it had something to do with Rupert Murdoch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch and ABC and FOX TV. And we got to meet him. (Rupert, not Elvis).

Ben has been in Memphis his entire life, and I have been here for 36 years, but neither of us had ever been to Graceland. It was an experience. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graceland
Ok, I have just 1 more story. We own a 1972 Cadillac Limousine. Ben had this vehicle when we met. Here it is. (And yes, Ben collects cars).He was told by the people that he bought it from, that it was formerly owned by Elvis. We have never pursued this. But after Saturday night, I think I'll have to. We were watching "Elvis By the Presleys", and I swear, we both think this car was in this movie. Now I know what you're thinking - Elvis owned 100's of Cadillacs - and there were many, many thousands made. But not like this Cadillac. In 1972 Cadillac changed the position of their front parking lights. In 1973, they changed their bumpers. Long story short, there was only 1 year that this exact car was made, and only 960 were built. It's just enough to get me investigating, which I love to do. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: